- Who may operate a pleasure vessel in Hong Kong waters?
Anyone over age of 18 with valid Pleasure Vessel Operator Certificate “Pleasure vessel licence”.
- Which Government Department is responsible for pleasure vessel licence?
Marine Department, located at 3/F, Harbour Building, 38 Pier Rd., Central, HK. Tel: 2852 4941.
- How is the examination operated?
One should answer 40 multiple choice questions in each part of the Pleasure Vessel Grade 2 Operator Certificate “Pleasure vessel licence” exam. (Candidate must take both Part A master and Part B engineer together in the first attempt, passing rate is 60% or more). Written test & Oral test will be required in Pleasure Vessel Grade 1 Operator Certificate.
- How much is the examination fee?
HK$1,255.- per each certificate.
- What is the validity of the licences?
The licence valid up to the holder’s age of 65, renewal is then required afterward, no annual license fee is required!
- What would be the costs to maintain a pleasure vessel in Hong Kong?
All depends on the type & condition of the vessel.
For instance, a 6.5 meters long speed boat equipped with a 150 HP outboard engine would cost:
|Transfer of Ownership||$355 *|
|Licence Fee||$670 (per year) *|
|Mooring or Hardstand||$5000-$6000 (per month) *|
|Insurance (third party only)||$2500-$3000 (per year) *|
|Routine Maintenance||$5500(per year) *|
*Prices quoted are for reference only and are subject to final confirmation by Marine Department and various service providers.