About the courses / About the licence / Message Board

Who may operate a pleasure vessel in Hong Kong waters?

Anyone over age of 18 with valid Pleasure Vessel Operator Certificate “Pleasure vessel licence”.

Which Government Department is responsible for pleasure vessel licence?

Marine Department, located at 3/F, Harbour Building, 38 Pier Rd., Central, HK. Tel: 2852 4941.

How is the examination operated?

One should answer 40 multiple choice questions in each part of the Pleasure Vessel Grade 2 Operator Certificate “Pleasure vessel licence” exam. Passing rate is 60% or more

Starting from 3rd of April 2023, the Pleasure Vessel Grade 2 Operator Certificate “Pleasure Vessel Grade 2 Licence” examination will be conducted at PEAK Examination Centre, Vocational Training Council (“VTC”).

How much is the examination fee?

HK$1,100.- for both Part A and B examinations. (HK$550.- for each examination)

Charge for issuing the licence at the Marine Dept. after passing both examination HK$220

What is the validity of the licences?

The licence valid up to the holder’s age of 65, renewal is required before the expiry date, no annual license fee is required!

What would be the costs to maintain a pleasure vessel in Hong Kong?

All depends on the type & condition of the vessel.

For instance, a 6.5 meters long speed boat equipped with a 150 HP outboard engine would cost:

Transfer of Ownership $355 *
Licence Fee$670 (per year) *
Mooring or Hardstand $5000-$6000 (per month) *
Insurance (third party only) $2500-$3000 (per year) *
Routine Maintenance$5500(per year) *

*Prices quoted are for reference only and are subject to final confirmation by Marine Department and various service providers.

(For inquiry, please ring 2891 3220 /  Whatsapp: 9314 1062 “Message us” / email us info@anmboating.com)

Pleasure Vessel Grade 2 Operator Certificate
PVOC 2 Course